This is the documentation about Salsah version 2. If you’re looking for the Salsah prototype (v1) please visit it on salsah.org.
Salsah is the generic user interface for Knora — a virtual research environment for the humanities. Knora itself has a restFul API and the following features:
- Stores humanities data as industry-standard RDF graphs, plus files for binary data such as digitized primary sources.
- Based on OWL ontologies that express abstract, cross-disciplinary commonalities in the structure and semantics of research data.
- Offers a generic HTTP-based API, implemented in Scala, for querying, annotating, and linking together heterogeneous data in a unified way.
- Handles authentication and authorization.
- Provides automatic versioning of data.
- Includes Sipi, a high-performance media server implemented in C++.
All the tools (Salsah, Knora and Sipi) are developed by the Digital humanities Lab at the University of Basel and supported by the Swiss Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Salsah is free software, released under the GNU Affero General Public License and is available on GitHub.